Rye, East Sussex, England
Camber Castle is located in Rye, East Sussex. The castle was an artillery fort built by Henry VIII to guard the port of Rye. The remains include an earlier central tower surrounded by four outer towers which used to be gun platforms. It is open to the public at weekends from July to September. There are also monthly guided walks round Rye Harbour Nature Reserve, including the castle.
The first building on the site was a circular tower built by Sir Edward Guldeford between 1512 and 1514. The tower was built on a shingle bank, and defended the harbour at the port of Rye. In 1538, when there a threat of invasion from France and Spain, Henry VIII build a line of forts along the south coast. One of these was at Camber, where a new fort was built around the existing tower between 1539 and 1544. Four D-shaped gun platforms and a large semicircular gatehouse were built round the original tower, linked by an octagonal wall. Silting resulted in the shore line receding, and by the end of the 16th century the castle was largely obsolete and was abandoned in 1637. Camber Castle was taken over by the state in 1967 and is now owned by English Heritage.
Other Castles in the Area
Bodiam Castle, East Sussex
Hastings Castle, East Sussex
Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex
Scotney Castle, Kent