Tattershall castle keep. The keep or Great Tower built 1430-50 by Ralph Lord Cromwell. Tattershall Castle was bequethed to the National Trust by Lord Curzon in 1925 and is one of Lincolnshire's most popular tourist attractions.
Photograph by Richard Croft. Some rights reserved. (view image details)
Tattershall Castle map
TATTERSHALL CASTLE FACTS
near Tattershall, Lincolnshire, England
Tattershall Castle is situated in the town of Tattershall 14 miles from Sleaford in the east of England.
The most impressive part of Tattershall Castle is the 130ft red brick tower keep. The five storey rectangular keep has octagonal corner turrets and is surrounded by two moats creating an outer bailey divided into two wards containing the ruins of a brick built stable block in the outer ward and a two storey brick guardhouse; now housing the gift shop, in the middle ward.
The site also contains parts of a 13th century stone curtain wall with the foundations of three cylindrical towers.
The castle is open to the public Saturday to Tuesday from 11am from the middle of March until the end of October and at weekends in November, December, and February and until the middle of March.
Visitors are invited to take one of the castle’s audio guides which gives an insight into what life was like at Tattershall Castle during the 15th century and climb the 150 steps from the basement to the top of the battlements for far reaching views over the countryside.
There is also a shop selling souvenirs and a place to purchase refreshments.
The castle’s parlour with its stained glass window and fine chimney is licensed for civil wedding ceremonies for up to 90 guests; it is also possible to have a drinks reception in another of the castle’s rooms.
The original enclosure castle on the site was built of stone in the 13th century by Robert de Tattershall.
Between 1430 and 1450 a red brick castle was built on the site by the 3rd Lord Cromwell who lavishly furnished the castle’s interior and built huge gothic fireplaces and chimney pieces. After his death in 1456 the castle was abandoned until 1911 when it was purchased by Lord Curzon of Kedleston. He set about the castles restoration in a project which lasted for three years and on his death in 1925 the castle was left to the National Trust.
Other Castles in the Area
Bolingbroke Castle, Lincolnshire
Lincoln Castle, Lincolnshire