near Castlemartyr, County Cork, Ireland
Castlemartyr is a ruined castle situated in the grounds of Castlemartyr Resort, a 5 star luxury resort hotel in the town of Castlemartyr, about 20 minutes drive from Cork City.
Castlemartyr is set amongst picturesque woodland. On the site is a ruined 13th century castle that once that belonged to the Knights Templar, and a 17th century manor house. The entrance to the estate is via an impressive gated entrance in Castlemartyr village. The Manor House has been restored to its original elegance and is now a focal point of the Castlemartyr Resort. Eleven of the resort's 103 rooms are in the old Manor House and the rest are in a modern building alongside the manor.
Castlemartyr Resort, which opened in 2007, is one of the finest luxury hotels in Ireland, and one of the best in Europe. It is a five star hotel with 103 guest rooms and suites and a luxury spa. Rooms and suites range in size from 500 square feet to 3000 square feet. The centerpiece of the resort is a beautifully restored manor with many of the original features preserved, including an ornate Rococo ceiling in what was once the Ballroom.
Castlemartyr is magnificent venue for your Irish wedding. The resort only hosts one wedding per day, and offers a complimentary room in the Manor House for the bride and groom on their wedding night. To make your day special, your wedding at Castlemartyr offers a red carpet welcome, personalized menus, advice on recommended local suppliers, complimentary Capel suite room hire for weddings with over 120 guests, use of formal gardens and resort grounds.
The castle was first built in 1210 by the Knights Templar under leadership of Richard Earl de Clare, also known as Strongbow. By the mid 15th century, the castle was the seat for the local seneschal appointed by James, Earl of Ormond. Castlemartyr was captured in 1569 by Sir Henry Sidney, when Ormond's men abandoned the castle overnight after a cannon attack. It was subsequently given to Sir Walter Raleigh, and later taken by the seneschal John FitzGerald. The Earl of Ormond attacked the castle in 1579. John FitzGerald was eventually captured in 1583 and died a few years later in Dublin Castle in 1589. In the 1640s, the castle again saw conflict and changed hands twice more before being set on fire to prevent it being used as a base for the Irish Confederate forces. During the civil war, the castle was captured by the Irish, and then recaptured by the Williamites in 1690, but was badly damaged and eventually abandoned and fell into disrepair. During the 17th century, Richard Boyle, the first Earl of Cork built the magnificent Manor House.
Other Castles in the Area
Ballea Castle, County Cork
Ballintotis Castle, County Cork
Ballyhooly Castle, County Cork
Castle Lyons, County Cork
Castle Richard, County Cork
Conna Castle, County Cork
Ightermurragh Castle, County Cork
Lisfinny Castle, County Waterford
Lismore Castle, County Waterford
Tourin Castle, County Waterford
Tyntes Castle, County Cork