near Millstreet, County Cork, Ireland
Drishane Castle is situated northeast of Millstreet near where the Finnow river flows into the Blackwater.
The castle is a 72 feet high tower house with rounded corners. It stands in the grounds of a large three storey 18th century house built by the Wallis family. The castle is in a good state of repair, but is not currently lived in.
Drishane Castle is open to the public during summer from 9am to 5pm (between May and September). For the rest of the year, visits may be arranged by appointment.
The castle has hosted a number of music concerts and fund raising events.
The castle was built in the mid 15th century by Dermot McCarthy, the Lord of Munster, around 1450. In 1641 the castle was used as a garrison for Charles 1 supporters. The castle was taken over by the Wallis family in 1728, who built a large house in the grounds near the castle. The Wallis family owned the castle until late in the 19th century.
During the Fenian rising of 1867, Drishane was garrisoned. It became a convent in 1909, owned by the Sisters of Infant Jesus, who operated a boarding school for secondary girls until 1992. The property was sold and was used as a centre for asylum seekers.
Other Castles in the Area
Ballybeg Castle, County Cork
Ballyclogh Castle, County Cork
Carrigadrohid Castle, County Cork
Carrigaphooca Castle, County Cork
Carrignacurra Castle, County Cork
Carrignamuck Castle, County Cork
Dromaneen Castle, County Cork
Kanturk Castle, County Cork
Kilcrea Castle, County Cork
Kilmeedy Castle, County Cork
Liscarroll Castle, County Cork
Lisgriffin Castle, County Cork
Lohort Castle, County Cork