near Creevagh, Cashel, Mullan and Drum Irish, County Donegal, Ireland
Doe Castle is located on a rock about 1 mile from the Carrigart to Creeslough road. The castle is on an inlet of Sheephaven Bay protected by sea on three sides, and by a moat cut into the rock on the landward side.
Doe Castle is a a fairly well preserved ruin. This impressive fortified castle has a central tower, battlements and a defensive wall enclosing a courtyard. The central tower is reminiscent of a Scottish tower house, and is 50 feet high, with a large room on each of the four levels. The tower walls are about 8 feet thick. There is a dungeon on the third level with a single narrow window in the stone wall, and a single 4 foot high doorway with a pointed arch. The dungeon doorway opens into a winding stairway inside the castle wall to the fourth floor above.
The great hall is about 35 feet long by 18 feet wide. There is a well shaft in the south west of the castle courtyard that has dried up.
Doe Castle was built in the 16th century and was a stronghold of Clan Suibhne (MacSweeney). Owen Roe O'Neill led the Irish Confederates from Doe Castle in 1642 in the Wars of the three kingdoms. During the 17th century, the castle changed hands a number of times, and was taken by the English hands. General George Vaughan Harte repaired the castle at the end of the 18th century and made his home there until 1864. The generals initials can still be seen over the door. The last occupant was a Church of Ireland minister, and after his departure the castle fell into disrepair. In 1922, Stewart-bam of Ards, sold the castle to the Irish Land Commission. The castle is now a National Monument.
Irish singer Brian McFadden proposed to Kerry Katona (now his ex-wife) at Doe Castle in 2001. This was where his grandfather proposed to his grandmother.
Other Castles in the Area
Glenveagh Castle, County Donegal