Malahide, County Dublin, Ireland
Robswall Castle is in the town of Robswall overlooking the Broadmeadow Water, also known as Malahide estuary and only a ten minute walk from the coast road footpath which links Portmarnock and Malahide.
The castle is situated on the side of a main road and is surrounded by a stone wall; it has the appearance of a normal dwelling with a square tower attached. The house is built over two floors with the interior having vaulted ceilings and a circular staircase leading to the first floor. A stone staircase gives access to the watch tower and battlements.
Robswall Castle is a private dwelling and not open to the public.
The original tower was constructed over four floors was thought to have been built in the 15th century by the de Bermingham family.
The castle is recorded as being the home of the Cistercian Monks of St Mary’s Abbey. The castle’s position at the entrance to the harbor ensured that the Monks were never without fish as the local fishermen always gave a donation when coming back into port.
When the monasteries were dissolved by Henry VIII in 1540 the castle was granted to Patrick Barnwell, Solicitor General for Ireland. The castle was recorded in the ‘Downs Survey’; so called because details of the properties were written down, as Roebuck’s Wall and described as a thatched castle belonging to the Barnwalls of Turvey. It was after this time that one storey of the tower was removed.
Other Castles in the Area
Aras an Uachtarain, County Dublin
Ardgillan Castle, County Dublin
Ashtown Castle, County Dublin
Athcarne Castle, County Meath
Bremore Castle, County Dublin
Clontarf Castle, County Dublin
Dardistown Castle, County Meath
Dublin Castle, County Dublin
Gormanston Castle, County Meath
Howth Castle, County Dublin
Malahide Castle, County Dublin
Manderley Castle, County Dublin
Pucks Castle, County Dublin
Rathfarnham Castle, County Dublin
Swords Castle, County Dublin
Tulleys Castle, County Dublin