Inishbofin, County Galway, Ireland
Oliver Cromwell's Fort is located on Inishbofin Island about 5 miles off the Connemara coast in County Galway, Ireland.
The fort is a star-shaped fort perched on a rocky headland on Inishbofin Island, a relatively small island about 5.5 km long and 3 km wide. Cromwell's Fort is at the entrance to the harbour. The fort is now in ruins but much of the walls are standing, although some of the stonework has gone. The structure is about 120 feet by 80 feet with walls about 6 feet thick. .
Inishbofin Island can be reached by ferry from Cleggan. The island has three hotels - Murray's Doonmore Hotel , Day's Inishbofin House Hotel and the Dolphin Hotel, and also a hostel. There is an airstrip on the island.
The fort was built in the 1650's during Oliver Cromwell’s occupation of Ireland. Inishbofin was captured by Cromwell's army and occupied by his troops until the end of the 17th century. Cromwell’s forces used the fort as a detention centre for Catholic clergy and others who were waiting to be transported to the West Indies.
After Cromwell’s rule ended and Charles II was restored to the throne in 1660, Cromwell's Fort was used as a defensive structure. During the Jacobite War it was occupied by Irish Forces who held it until 1691, after which they surrendered to the Williamite Forces.
Other Castles in the Area
Ballynahinch Castle, County Galway
Granuailes Castle, County Mayo