near Burnchurch, County Kilkenny, Ireland
Burnchurch Castle is situated about 4 miles south west of Kilkenny and 6km from Ballybur, off the Clonmel Road.
Burnchurch is a six storey tower house. The castle was originally attached to a walled courtyard, most of which has now disappeared, apart from a 40 foot high tower at one corner.
The castle has an unusual complexity of passages and chambers inside the walls, including a hidden room in the wall of the fourth floor.. There used to be great hall attached to an outside wall of the tower which has now gone. There is a vault under the castle above which is the main chamber. Access to the upper three floors is via an outside staircase. Other notable features include mullioned windows, a fine carved fireplace and a round chimney which may have been a later addition.
The castle is accessible to the public and can be explored.
The castle was built in the 15th century as a Norman tower house with a round gate tower, by the Burnchurch family (a branch of the Fitzgeralds). The castle was occupied until 1817. In 1993, Burnchurch Castle and Tower became a National Monument.
Other Castles in the Area
Annaghs Castle, County Kilkenny
Ballinard Castle, County Tipperary
Ballybur Castle, County Kilkenny
Ballymoon Castle, County Carlow
Ballyragget Castle, County Kilkenny
Clara Castle, County Kilkenny
Clomantagh Castle, County Kilkenny
Court Castle, County Tipperary
Dysart Castle, County Kilkenny
Foulksrath Castle, County Kilkenny
Kilkenny Castle, County Kilkenny
Leighlinbridge Castle, County Carlow
Milltown St John Castle, County Tipperary
Mountgarret Castle, County Kilkenny
Ormonde Castle, County Tipperary
Tinnahinch Castle, County Carlow