near Mount Garrett Bridge, County Kilkenny, Ireland
Mountgarret Castle is situated near the roadside on a hill overlooking New Ross
The castle is a ruined square tower, partly overgrown with vegetation. It was originally one of a number of Norman fortresses guarding the river Barrow. The remains are about three storeys high. One wall of the 600 year old keep collapsed in 2010.
It was the home of Patrick Barrett, Lord Chancellor of Ireland and the Bishop of Ferns, who rebuilt and reconstructed the castle in the early part of the fifteenth century.
Mountgarret Castle is believed to have been built around 1400 for Patrick Barrett, the Bishop of Ferns and the Lord Chancellor of Ireland. It was given by Henry VIII to Sir Richard Butler, who was given the title Viscount Mountgarrett in 1550 for his work as constable of Ferns Castle. Mountgarret Castle was given to William Ivory in the Cromwellian Redistribution after the Civil Wars. In 1666, the castle was granted back to Edmund, Viscount Mountgarrett and remained with the Mountgarretts until the 12th Viscount died without heir in 1793.
Other Castles in the Area
Annaghs Castle, County Kilkenny
Ballinlaw Castle, County Kilkenny
Ballybur Castle, County Kilkenny
Ballyteige Castle, County Wexford
Burnchurch Castle, County Kilkenny
Coolhull Castle, County Wexford
Dysart Castle, County Kilkenny
Enniscorthy Castle, County Wexford
Fethard Castle, County Wexford
Gorteens Castle, County Kilkenny
Kilkenny Castle, County Kilkenny
Kilmurry Castle, County Kilkenny
Loftus Hall, County Wexford
Tinnahinch Castle, County Carlow
Tower of Taghmon Castle, County Wexford