near Clarina, County Limerick, Ireland
Carrigogunnell Castle is situated near the village of Clarina, on a bank of the River Shannon. The castle is an impressive fortress dominating a natural rocky crag.
The castle is in ruins. The keep was a five storey tower structure with a spiral staircase, and the remains are over 50 feet high. There is a prominent circular bastion. The castle building construction was of cut limestone. On the east side is an adjoining house. Along the western side is a range of ruined buildings. The main gate is on the southern side with a smaller entrance to the west.
Carrigogunnell Castle was built around 1450. During the Williamite War in Ireland, the castle was occupied by King James II's troops during the second siege of Limerick in 1691. Later in 1691 Lieutenant-General Scravemore acting for Dutch General Godert de Ginckell captured the castle. The castle occupants were taken as prisoners of war, and later in 1691 Carrigogunnell was blown up on de Ginckell's orders.
Other Castles in the Area
Adare Manor, County Limerick
Askeaton Castle, County Limerick
Bourchiers Castle, County Limerick
Bunratty Castle, County Clare
Desmond Castle, County Limerick
Dromoland Castle, County Clare
Dysert Castle, County Limerick
Fantstown Castle, County Limerick
King Johns Castle, Kilmallock, County Limerick
King Johns Castle, County Limerick
Knappogue Castle, County Clare
Matrix Castle, County Limerick
Shanid Castle, County Limerick