near Bective, County Meath, Ireland
Bellinter House is 15 miles from Drogheda near Narvan. Positioned on the side of the River Boyne the house is set on sweeping lawns with 12 acres of parkland beyond.
Bellinter House is a Palladian style house with six bays built over three floors (including basement) made of limestone. Adjoining the main part of the building; by single story arcades, are two storey wings which create a courtyard. A stable block, ice house and other outbuildings can also be found within the grounds.
Bellinter House is now a boutique hotel offering 34 bedrooms. It also has a modern addition in the form of a pool house with glass wall overlooking the countryside. The hotel boasts an award winning restaurant; The Eden, situated in the vaulted cellar serving locally produced seasonal food and the Bellinter Bar which is traditionally furnished.
The building was classed by the Irish government to be of significant architectural significance and so the grounds and building are accessible throughout the year free of charge.
The hotel is also a wedding venue with civil ceremonies being held in either the vaulted cellar or east wing.
Bellinter House was designed for the Preston family; merchants from Dublin, by Richard Castle a leading Architect in 1750.
The main building was designed for the family with the side wings being used as the kitchens and servants quarters along with the stables. The estate at that time was around 600 acres used as grazing and woodland.
In 1892 the house the house was bequeathed to a Gustavas Briscoe a family friend and in 1907 his son Cecil inherited the estate. The last Briscoe; George, sold the estate in 1955 and after being sold once more was in the hands of the Irish Land Commission. The Commission split the land into farms of 50 acres and left the house abandoned until 1965 when it was sold along with 12 acres of land to a religious order, The Sisters of Sion. To raise the money for the extensive repairs the sisters grew and sold flowers and tomatoes on a commercial basis and once renovated ran the house as a retreat. The sisters finally sold the house to Jay Bourke and John Reynolds in 2003 and the house was converted into a boutique hotel.
Other Castles in the Area
Aras an Uachtarain, County Dublin
Ardbraccan House, County Meath
Ashtown Castle, County Dublin
Athcarne Castle, County Meath
Barmeath Castle, County Louth
Bective Abbey, County Meath
Carbury Castle, County Kildare
Castletown House, County Kildare
Dardistown Castle, County Meath
Dunsany Castle, County Meath
Liscartan Castle, County Meath
Maynooth Castle, County Kildare
Monktown Castle, County Meath
Slane Castle, County Meath
Trim Castle, County Meath