near Collieston, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Slains Castle is located near Cruden Bay in Aberdeenshire. The ruins of the castle stand on high cliffs overlooking the North Sea. The original castle was a tower house built in 1597 by the 9th Earl of Erroll. The castle has been extended and reconstructed a number of times, with the last major construction effort in 1836 when it was rebuilt and granite faced. The castle was well-defended with the North Sea cliffs to the north, an abyss to the west a walled rampart with main entrance to the south. The ruins include parts of three and four storey buildings some of it with basement. There are well preserved basement kitchen works with numerous fire pits. The site has until recently been unmaintained with free public access. In October 2007 it was announced that Slains Castle ruins would be closed to the public because the ruins and land are to be converted into holiday homes by Slains Partnership.
The 9th Hay Earl of Erroll built Slains Castle after James VI destroyed Old Slains at Cruden Bay (6 miles away), after the Hays participated in the rebellion of 1594. The Hays remained in the castle for generations before selling up in 1916. The fell into disrepair in the first quarter of the 20th century, and the roof was removed in 1925 to avoid paying taxes.
Bram Stoker stayed at Slains Castle and it inspired his story of Dracula.
Other Castles in the Area
Esslemont Castle, Aberdeenshire
Knockhall Castle, Aberdeenshire
Ravenscraig Castle, Aberdeenshire
Tolquhon Castle, Aberdeenshire
Udny Castle, Aberdeenshire