Loch Awe, Argyll and Bute, Scotland
Access to Kilchurn Castle is via th A85, then by boat from Lochawe pier, or on foot from Dalmally.
Kilchurn Castle ruin is located on the north eastern end of Loch Awe, in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. It was the ancestral home of the Campbells of Glenorchy, who later became the Earls of Breadalbane. The original castle was a tower house and a hall (Laich Hall). Kilchurn Castle was built in about 1450 by Sir Colin Campbell, first Lord of Glenorchy. It was a five storey tower house with a courtyard surrounded by an outer wall. By about 1500 an additional range and a hall had been added to the south side of the castle. Further buildings were added in the 16th and 17th centuries. During the second half of the century the tower house was renovated including the addition of circular corner turrets adorned by corbels, most of which have survived. The ruin is in the care of Historic Scotland, and is open to the public during the summer.
In 1681 Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy converted Kilchurn into a modern barracks, capable of housing 200 troops. His main addition was the three storey L-shaped block along the north side. Kilchurn was used as a Government garrison during the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite risings. In 1760 the castle was badly damaged by a violent storm and was abandoned.
Other Castles in the Area
Barcaldine Castle, Argyll and Bute
Castle Stalker, Argyll and Bute
Dunderave Castle, Argyll and Bute
Innis Chonnel Castle, Argyll and Bute
Inveraray Castle, Argyll and Bute