SEARCH THIS SITE

Britain - Ireland - Castles . com
Castles and Historic Buildings of Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland

 Castles of Scotland - Dudhope Castle






Location
near Craigie, City of Dundee, Scotland

Description
Dudhope Castle is located on Dundee Law in Dundee, Scotland. The castle was originally a smaller tower house built in the late 13th century by the Scrymageour family. This was replaced around 1460 and then further extended in 1580 to its current L-plan structure with circular towers. In the 1980s the castle was redeveloped and is now in use as offices, a conference centre as well as housing the University of Abertay Business School.

History
The Scrymageour family sold the castle in 1668 to John Graham of Claverhouse (the following year John Graham died in battle leading the Jacobites to victory at Killiecrankie). In 1792 the castle was rented out for use as a woolen factory. In 1795 the park and the grounds were leased to the Board of Ordnance, who used Dudhope as a barracks for 95 years, from 1796 to 1879. Additional buildings were constructed, including a hospital, officers quarters, stables and guard-rooms. The castle was used as accommodation for 400 soldiers. The Board of Ordnance abandoned the castle in 1881. In council of Dundee bought the grounds and opened them up as a park in 1895. The building was later occupied by the Ministry of Works.


Other Castles in the Area
  Ballinbreich Castle, Fife
  Balvaird Castle, Perth and Kinross
  Broughty Castle, City of Dundee
  Claypotts Castle, City of Dundee
  Collairnie Castle, Fife
  Craighall Castle, Perth and Kinross
  Dairsie Castle, Fife
  Denmylne Castle, Fife
  Elcho Castle, Perth and Kinross
  Evelick Castle, Perth And Kinross
  Falkland Palace, Fife
  Fernie Castle, Fife
  Fingask Castle, Perth and Kinross
  Glamis Castle, Angus
  Kellie Castle, Fife
  Kinnaird Castle, Angus
  Kinnaird Castle, Perth and Kinross
  Lordscairnie Castle, Fife
  Myres Castle, Fife
  Pittarthie Castle, Fife
  Scotstarvit Tower, Fife
  St Andrews Castle, Fife







St Andrews Castle
The castle was converted to use as a woollen mill, then a barracks. It is now a part of the University of Abertay.

Photograph by Val Vannet. Some rights reserved.  (view image details)


 Dudhope Castle map