near Stromemore, Loch Carron, Highland, Scotland
Strome Castle is a ruin situated about four miles south of Lochcarron village on the shore of Loch Carron on the west coast of the Scottish Highlands. The castle stands on a rocky bluff surrounded by steep drops to the shore and sea on three sides. All that is left of the castle today is a courtyard and the remains of a square tower. The courtyard is accessed through a gateway on the north wall. There is a also a gateway in the west wall that leads to the headland. The castle is now managed by the National Trust for Scotland.
The castle was built as a tower house in the mid 15th century by the MacDonald clan and it was held by various branches of the MacDonalds. In 1539, King James V of Scotland granted the castle to the Clan MacDonald of Glengarry. In 1602, the castle was besieged by the Clan MacKenzie. The MacDonalds surrendered, and they left, the castle was demolished with explosives. The MacDonalds of Glengarry built a new castle called Invergarry Castle. In 1939, Strome Castle was given to the National Trust for Scotland.
It is said that while under siege, the women in the castle, while refilling the water casks in the dark, made the mistake of pouring water into the gunpowder. This compelled the defenders to surrender, and the Castle was then destroyed.
Other Castles in the Area
Caisteal Maol, Isle of Skye
Eilean Donan Castle, Highland
Knock Castle, Isle of Skye