near Dufftown, Moray, Scotland
Auchindoun Castle is situated 2 miles southeast of Dufftown off the A941. Access is by foot up a track.
Auchindoun Castle was built in the 15th century in Auchindoun near Dufftown in the Moray region of Scotland, and guards Glen Fiddich. The castle was destroyed by the Clan MacKintosh in 1592. Following the Restoration of Charles II, the castle was awarded to the Marquis of Huntly and rebuilt. By 1725, the castle was derelict and stones from it were used to build local farm buildings and the nearby Balvenie Castle. The original castle had a large central tower and high curtain wall. A second round tower guarded the northwest corner of the compound. Cellars and possibly dungeons were dug directly into the rock beneath the tower.
Today much of the curtain wall and some of the outbuildings remain, but the central tower itself is very dilapidated. The ruins are in the care of Historic Scotland, and after recent consolidation works to stablise the ruins, the castle was as re-opened to the public in November 2007.
Other Castles in the Area
Ballindalloch Castle, Moray
Balvenie Castle, Moray
Castle of Park, Aberdeenshire
Craigievar Castle, Aberdeenshire
Drumin Castle, Moray
Fordyce Castle, Aberdeenshire
Glenbuchat Castle, Aberdeenshire
Huntly Castle, Aberdeenshire
Kildrummy Castle, Aberdeenshire