Dufftown, Moray, Scotland
Balvenie Castle is in Glen Fiddich (whisky country) about a mile north of Dufftown. It was built as a heavily fortified castle with thick defensive walls a wide ditch and defensive towers. Under the Stewarts in the 16th century elegant residential living areas were added to the castle. It fell into disrepair in the 18th century. Although in ruins today, you can still see impressive features of the building.
It was built in the 1200s and originally owned by the Comyns who were wiped out by Robert the Bruce in his fight for power in Scotland. At some stage in the 1400s the castle was taken over by the Black Douglases who were overthrown by King James II who gave the castle to his own relatives. Mary Queen of Scots visited in 1562. The castle was abandoned in 1720.
Other Castles in the Area
Auchindoun Castle, Moray
Ballindalloch Castle, Moray
Burgie Castle, Moray
Drumin Castle, Moray
Duffus Castle, Moray
Findlater Castle, Aberdeenshire
Fordyce Castle, Aberdeenshire
Glenbuchat Castle, Aberdeenshire
Huntly Castle, Aberdeenshire
Kildrummy Castle, Aberdeenshire
Spynie Palace, Moray