near Blairgowrie, Perth and Kinross, Scotland
Access is via the Blairgowrie to Braemar road A93, then turn left at The Post Office on to the Bridge of Cally to Pitlochry road A924.
Blackcraig Castle is located about 2 miles from Bridge of Cally near Blairgowrie. Blackcraig Castle is designated as a Class A listed building. The castle has its own gardens beside the River Ardle. Blackcraig Castle offers accommodation in antiqued rooms, and traditional Scottish country home-style cooking. Lady Jill Mueller has had a watercolor painting class at Blackcraig Castle and has been teaching there once or twice a summer since 1993.
The original castle was a 16th century tower house and was the seat of the Barony of Balmachreuchie. The tower was extended and renovated in about 1856 by Patrick Alan Fraser, and a gatehouse was added. The extension blends in well, although you can see the different stone work between the original tower and the 19th century modifications.
Other Castles in the Area
Craighall Castle, Perth and Kinross
Dalnaglar Castle, Perth and Kinross
Evelick Castle, Perth And Kinross
Fingask Castle, Perth and Kinross
Kinnaird Castle, Perth and Kinross
Murthly Castle, Perth and Kinross