Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Castle is situated ten miles south east of Cardigan in Carmarthenshire, southwest Wales. The ruins of the castle sit on a grassy site overlooking the River Teifi. The castle is in ruins - there are remnants of some of the walls and the ruins of the gate. The twin towered gatehouse on the west side of the triangular inner courtyard is the most prominent feature. The gatehouse towers are semi-octagonal outside and rectangular inside with latrine shafts on the north and south. The north gatehouse room has a manhole cover covering the entrance passage to a well-preserved vaulted cellar. There are ruins of a square tower to the south of the gatehouse. The castle used to have an inner and outer curtain wall, and only ruined parts of the walls remain.
The castle was probably originally built around 1240. The castle changed hands between the Welsh and English several times. In 1403 the castle was taken by Owain Glyndwr, but was in ruins by 1428. Sir Rhys ap Thomas repaired the castle in about 1500. It changed hands again a number of times before the Civil War during which it was held by Parliament until it was captured by Royalists in 1644. After the surrender of the Royalists, the castle was blown up and it has been neglected since.
Other Castles in the Area
Cardigan Castle, Cardiganshire
Cilgerran Castle, Pembrokeshire
Dryslwyn Castle, Carmarthenshire
Llawhaden Castle, Pembrokeshire