Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
Tubber, County Galway, Ireland
Fiddaun Castle is a tower house situated between Lough Doo and Lough Aslaun, near the village of Tubber, about five miles south west of Gort.
The most notable feature of this rectangular tower house is the remarkably well preserved inner bawn wall. The tower is a six storey structure with vaulted ceilings over the first and fifth floors, and an attic on the top floor. There are square box-shaped bartizans on the northern and southern corners at third floor level. The bawn is a rectangle with a three storey gatehouse in the north western wall, and a triangular point on the south west wall. The outer wall is now mostly in ruins, but at one tie enclosed a massive twelve acres.
Fiddaun Castle is on private land and is now maintained by the Office of Public Works.
Fiddaun Castle was built around 1574, and is one of three castles in the area owned by the O'Shaughnessy family. (The other O'Shaughnessy castles were Gort Castle, Ardamullivan Castle).
Fiddaun guarded the western parts of the O'Shaughnessy lands. Most of the O'Shaugnessy land was forfeited in 1697 when Sir William O'Shaughnessy, who had fought as a captain in the Jacobite cause, was forced to flee to France. The O'Shaughnessy family continued to occupy Fiddaun Castle until 1729.
Other Castles in the Area
Ardamullivan Castle, County Galway
Dromoland Castle, County Clare
Dunguaire Castle, County Galway
Dysert O'Dea Castle, County Clare
Gleninagh Castle, County Clare
Knappogue Castle, County Clare
Leamaneh Castle, County Clare
Newtown Castle, County Clare
Tyrone House, County Galway