Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
near Ballyragget, County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ballyragget Castle is situated in the town of Ballyragget, about 18km from Kilkenny on the N77.
Ballyragget Castle, also known as Butler Castle, is a ruined square tower house. It has defensive wall with corner towers. It is named after the Norman, Richard Le Ragget, who owned the land in the 13th century.
The castle is on private land and is not open to the public.
Ballyragget Castle was built in 1495 by the Mountgarret family. In 1600 it was garrisoned by Sir George Carew against the Mountgarrets who were in opposition to the crown. The castle was once a residence of Lady Margaret Fitzgerald, the Countess of Ormonde.
Other Castles in the Area
Ballybur Castle, County Kilkenny
Burnchurch Castle, County Kilkenny
Carlow Castle, County Carlow
Castle Durrow, County Laois
Clara Castle, County Kilkenny
Clomantagh Castle, County Kilkenny
Foulksrath Castle, County Kilkenny
Kilkenny Castle, County Kilkenny
Leighlinbridge Castle, County Carlow
Rock of Dunamase, County Laois
Tinnahinch Castle, County Carlow
White's Castle, County Kildare