Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
near Loughgur Cross, County Limerick, Ireland
Bourchiers Castle is situated at the neck of a peninsula on Lough Gur near the town of Bruff in County Limerick.
Bourchiers Castle is a ruined five storey tower house. It was also known as Castle Doon, and protected the northern approach to Knockadoon on Lough Gur. The southern approach was protected by nearby Black Castle.
There is a visitors' centre beside Lough Gur, with a car park and picnic area. Near the visitors centre, there is a well maintained grassy area leading down to the lake . The lake is used for water sports, but motorised craft are not permitted on the lake. The castle itself is not open to the public.
Bourchiers Castle was built in the 16th century. It was named after Sir George Bourchier, the son of the second Earl of Bath. The Earls of Bath held the castle until 1641.
Other Castles in the Area
Adare Manor, County Limerick
Bunratty Castle, County Clare
Carrigogunnell Castle, County Limerick
Desmond Castle, County Limerick
Fantstown Castle, County Limerick
Kilbolane Castle, County Cork
King Johns Castle, Kilmallock, County Limerick
King Johns Castle, County Limerick