Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
Dundalk, County Louth, Ireland
Seatown Castle is located on the corner of Castle Road and Mill Street in Dundalk.
The building is not a castle at all, but a remnant bell tower of a ruined Franciscan monastery. The four storey tower has vaulted ceilings above the ground floor and third floors.
The monastery was founded around 1240 by John Verdon. In 1282 the monastery was held by the Irish order of monks, who provided to sailors. In those days, the sea was not far from the monastery. The monastery was destroyed some time in the early 17th century. The monastery is reported to have ran in an east west line from the bell-tower. Foundations have been found on the northern side of Mill street and under Castle Road. The tower is now managed by the Urban Council who have carried out repairs in recent times.
Other Castles in the Area
Barmeath Castle, County Louth
Carlingford Castle, County Louth
Castle Guard, County Louth
Castle Roche, County Louth
Dunmahon Castle, County Louth
Haynestown Castle, County Louth
Hope Castle, County Monaghan
Milltown Castle, County Louth
Roodstown Castle, County Louth
Taaffes Castle, County Louth
Greencastle, County Down
Moyry Castle, County Armagh
Narrow Water Castle, County Down