Thurles, County Tipperary, Ireland
Lisheen Castle is situated in open countryside 30 miles west of Kilkenny in the centre of Ireland.
The Tudor style castle built over two floors comprises a main crenellated building, a central tower with projecting gallery and side turrets built of grey stone. It is set on sweeping lawns giving views out to the countryside beyond.
Lisheen Castle has been fully refurbished throughout and is now used as luxury self catering accommodation decorated and furnished in a comfortable traditional style. The castle is full of features including ceilings decorated with Celtic murals and marble fireplaces
The castle has 9 luxury bedrooms sleeping up to 16 people; one room with a four poster bed, Regency dining room, library, old style kitchen and reception room.
For guests celebrating a special occasion or those who simply do not wish to cook the castle can provide its very own top class catering team and head chef, making it an ideal location for an intimate wedding reception.
The earliest record of the castle was in 1827 where John Lloyd Esq. was recorded at ‘the castle' and paying taxes on surrounding land he continued to make additions to the original castellated building.
In 1856 Charles Henry Lloyd succeeded to the estate and lived there until his death in 1887 when the castle was left to his eldest son Charles Edward. Charles and the rest of the Lloyd family all emigrated to different parts of the world with Charles heading for Australia. He went to make his fortune and rebuild a crumbling home, but never came back to Lisheen and so the castle was rented for £80 a year to the Hamilton family between 1896 and 1903.
In 1903 a new land act was introduced which encouraged land owners to sell their land with favorable terms to their tenant farms. This is just what Charles did leaving just 143 acres and the castle to create a new estate. The castle and estate was then sold on a number of occasions until in 1921 it was under the ownership of John O'Meara.
In July of that year the castle was one of the last to be burnt down in the Irish War of Independence and was left a shell until 1960 when the Land Commission took control of the buildings and land and divided them. The castle was eventually purchased by the Everard family in 1996; they set about the castle's restoration which took them 3 years.
Other Castles in the Area
Ardmayle Castle, County Tipperary
Ballynahow Castle, County Tipperary
Castle Durrow, County Laois
Clomantagh Castle, County Kilkenny
Loughmore Castle, County Tipperary
Milltown St John Castle, County Tipperary
Rock of Cashel, County Tipperary
Roscrea Castle, County Tipperary