Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
Upper Lough Erne, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
Near the village of Newtownbutler, Crom Castle is set on the banks of Lough Erne on an estate of rolling parkland 18 miles south of Enniskillen.
The neo-Tudor mansion house is built of grey stone with the main part of the boiling and wings being over two floors. The entrance is a battlemented tower with smaller towers to one side. The castle has formal gardens which reach out to the estate and parkland beyond covering 1,900 acres. The ruins of Old Crom Castle can also be seen within the estate although now it is only parts of two towers and a ha-ha; a deep ditch which gives an optical illusion of not being there. The old Crom Castle is .located at approximate coordinates 54.162637, -7.443872. There are also two of the oldest yew trees in Ireland on the estate, believed to be over 800 years old.
The castle is home to the Earls or Erne, the Crichton family and not open to the public however the estate; managed by the National Trust, is open daily between March and November between 10am and 6pm (7pm during the summer). The castle also has a Visitor Centre open daily between April and September and at weekends for the rest of the year.
The grounds hold one of the National Trust's most important nature reserves as well as ancient yew trees classified as amongst Britain's 50 greatest trees. Visitors can hire fishing rods and boats to take a trip out onto the waters.
The West Wing of Crom Castle has been opened as holiday accommodation with access to the Earl's private gardens, tennis court and motor boat. Available to rent all year round the wing can sleep up to 12 people and is furnished in period style. The accommodation comprises of a west facing drawing room with views out towards the lake, a dining room with barrel vaulted ceiling and a fully equipped modern kitchen. The castle is the ideal place for an intimate wedding of up to 50 guests at a civil ceremony or a wedding reception in the conservatory.
The original castle on the estate was owned by the Balfour's until 1609 when it was purchased by the Crichton family.
The family also held the title Earls of Erne and the new castle was built by the 3rd Earl in the 1830's. The castle was designed by the architect who was also responsible for designing some sections of Buckingham palace, Edward Blore.
Crom Castle has remained in the hands of the Crichton family ever since and is now home to the 6th Earl, Henry George Victor John Crichton with his only son Viscount John Henry Michael Ninian Crichton being the heir to the title.
Other Castles in the Area
Clogh Oughter Castle, County Cavan
Castle Balfour, County Fermanagh
Castle Coole, County Fermanagh
Enniskillen Castle, County Fermanagh
Florence Court, County Fermanagh
Monea Castle, County Fermanagh
Portora Castle, County Fermanagh