near Oban, Argyll and Bute, Scotland
Barcaldine Castle is located just over a mile north of Benderloch in Argyll and Bute. Barcaldine Castle is an L-plan structure with four levels. The ground floor has the kitchen, a bottle dungeon and a cellar that has been converted into a dining area. The Great Hall and Lairds Parlor are on the first floor. The second floor is now in use as bedrooms, and the top floor is private rooms for the family. In the late 19th Century the family returned and restored the castle.
The castle was built by Sir Duncan Campbell at the beginning on the 17th century and was once known as the Black Castle of Benderloch, because of teh dark stone used in its construction. The castle remained in the Campbell family until it was abandoned in 1735. The Campbells bought the castle back in 1896 and restored it and the family still occupy the building.
Other Castles in the Area
Ardtornish Castle, Highland
Castle Stalker, Argyll and Bute
Duart Castle, Argyll and Bute
Dunollie Castle, Argyll and Bute
Dunstaffnage Castle, Argyll and Bute
Gylen Castle, Argyll and Bute
Kilchurn Castle, Argyll and Bute
Kinlochaline Castle, Highland
Torosay Castle, Argyll and Bute