Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
Creetown, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland
Carsluith Castle is a ruined tower house located beside Wigtown Bay on the Galloway coast of south-west Scotland, about three and a half miles south east of Creetown. The castle has a main tower with crow-step gables and corbelled wall walks along the gable ends. Three of the corners have round turrets. A later stair tower was added on to the north east topped by a gabled caphouse. A sink at first floor level once drained via a carved gargoyle on the west side. The ground floor entrance is via the stair tower. There is a vaulted basement divided into two cellars, with gunloops in the walls. Above is the hall with windows and a fireplace. Another floor would have had bedrooms, with an attic at the wall walk level, although these floors have gone.
Carsluith was held by the Cairns family until 1460, when it passed to James Lindsay of Fairgirth, Chamberlain of Galloway. He was probably built the main tower at Carsluith in the late 15th or early 16th century. The castle then passed, though a daughter to Richard Brown. The Browns of Carsluith added the stair tower on the north side in the 1560s. The Browns emigrated to India in 1748, and the castle has not been occupied since. In the early 19th century, new farm buildings were built on to the castle, forming a U-plan steading which remains. Today the castle ruin is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, in the care of Historic Scotland.
Other Castles in the Area
Barholm Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
Cardoness Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
MacLellans Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
Sorbie Tower, Dumfries and Galloway
Threave Castle, Dumfries and Galloway