Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
near Golspie, Sutherland, Highland, Scotland
Dunrobin Castle is on the east coast of the Northern Highlands overlooking the Moray Firth, just north of the villages of Golspie and Dornoch. It is the largest castle in the Northern Highlands with 189 rooms. Dunrobin Castle is also one of Britain's oldest continuously inhabited houses dating back to the early 1300s. It was home to the Earls and later, the Dukes of Sutherland. Dunrobin Castle now resembles a French château with its towering conical spires - this transformation from fort to stately home was carried out in the late 19th century. The gardens were laid out in 1850 by architect Sir Charles Barry, with influences from the Palace of Versailles in Paris. Dunrobin Castle is open annually from April to October.
The original castle was a fortified square keep, with walls six feet thick and a vaulted ceiling. The castle was extended from the 16th century onwards. In 1785 a large extension was constructed. The original keep still survives, within the structure making Dunrobin one of the oldest inhabited houses in Scotland. The Castle was used as a naval hospital during the First World War and as a boys boarding school from 1965 to 1972.
Other Castles in the Area
Dornoch Castle, Highland
Mansfield Castle, Highland
Skelbo Castle, Highland
Skibo Castle, Highland