Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
near Ffairfach, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Dinefwr Castle is situated on a ridge overlooking the River Tywi near Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire in West Wales. Dinefwr was the chief seat of the kingdom of Deheubarth. The castle has a circular keep, similar to the ones at Bronllys, Skenfrith and Tretower. Although in ruins, much of the walls, keep and courtyard remain. The castle is in the care of Cadw (a government body that conserves heritage buildings of Wales). It is located within Dinefwr Park, which is owned by the National Trust. The castle is open for visitors.
The first castle on the site is believed to have been built by Rhodri the Great, but there is no evidence of this earlier castle remaining. The castle now on the site was probably built by Rhys ap Gruffydd, ruler of Deheubarth from 1155 to 1197. The castle was burnt down during the rebellion of Llywelyn Bren in 1316. In the late 15th century the castle was held by Sir Rhys ap Thomas, who carried out extensive rebuilding. In 1531 his grandson was executed for treason and the castle was confiscated by the crown. By the end of the 15th century the castle was abandoned when Newton House was built close by. In the 17th century, the occupants of Newton House built a summer house to the top of the circular keep at Dinefwr, explaining the its odd shape. By the late 18th century, the castle roofs had been destroyed by fire.
Other Castles in the Area
Carreg Cennen Castle, Carmarthenshire
Dryslwyn Castle, Carmarthenshire
Kidwelly Castle, Carmarthenshire
Llandovery Castle, Carmarthenshire
Llansteffan Castle, Carmarthenshire
Neath Castle, Neath Port Talbot