Leighlinbridge, County Carlow, Ireland
Leighlinbridge Castle (also known as Black Castle) is situated on the River Barrow in the village of Leighlinbridge in County Carlow.
The present Leighlinbridge Castle is a ruined 50 foot high tower house, with only the left part of the tower and parts of the bawn wall still standing.
There has been a castle on the site since the early days of the Norman invasion of Ireland. The original Norman castle was built around 1180 by Hugh de Lacy to defend the river crossing. A Carmelite priory was founded near the castle in 1270. The building now on the site is a 14th century tower house which was owned by the Kavanagh family. The castle was rebuilt again in 1547 by Edward Bellingham, and was known as Black Castle. During the Irish Confederate Wars, the castle was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell's forces in 1650.
The magnificent nine-arched bridge over the Barrow river near the castle was built in 1320 by Maurice Jakis, canon of Kildare Cathedral. It was widened in 1789.
Other Castles in the Area
Ballybur Castle, County Kilkenny
Ballyloughan Castle, County Carlow
Ballymoon Castle, County Carlow
Ballyragget Castle, County Kilkenny
Burnchurch Castle, County Kilkenny
Carlow Castle, County Carlow
Clara Castle, County Kilkenny
Dysart Castle, County Kilkenny
Foulksrath Castle, County Kilkenny
Huntington Castle, County Carlow
Kilkea Castle, County Kildare
Kilkenny Castle, County Kilkenny
Tinnahinch Castle, County Carlow
Leighlinbridge Castle on the River Barrow, County Carlow, Ireland
Photograph by Sarah777. License: Public Domain. (view image details)
Leighlinbridge Castle map