near Kilcolgan, County Galway, Ireland
Tyrone House stands on an outcrop by the sea, about two miles from Kilcolgan village in Irelandís County Galway.
The structure is now a roofless and windowless ruin, made of blue-cut limestone, and stands three storeys high. Wild ivy covers its walls, It stands high on rocky soil, its front facing south to the Atlantic, with the Kilcolgan River beyond the woods to the north. It is easily visible from all around.
Tyrone House can be viewed by the public from the outside. The house has commanding views over the surrounding Galway countryside.
The House was built in 1779. It was originally owned by Christopher St. George. It was the personal home of the family. The building was one of the largest homes in the country, with the property growing at one point in the 19th century to 53,000 acres.
However, it was destroyed in 1920 by arson during the Irish War of Independence by the local IRA unit. It was never rebuilt, and remained in abandon until 1972, when the Irish Georgian Society acquired it.
Other Castles in the Area
Ardamullivan Castle, County Galway
Athenry Castle, County Galway
Aughanure Castle, County Galway
Dunguaire Castle, County Galway
Fiddaun Castle, County Galway
Gleninagh Castle, County Clare
Leamaneh Castle, County Clare
Newtown Castle, County Clare