Kilmallock, County Limerick, Ireland
King John's Castle is a prominent landmark at the north western end of the Sarsfield Street in the town of Kilmallock, County Limerick
The castle is a four storey tower that may have been part of the northern gate entrance to the town at one time. It is sixty feet high with battlements, and two wide arched openings at ground level. There is a public passage through an opening of the basement.
King John's Castle was built in the 15th Century, and is a good example of a 'Peel' Tower. It was granted to Henry Billingsley in 1588, and Thomas Browne in 1604. In 1645 it was used as an arsenal by Lord Castlehaven's troops in the war with Oliver Cromwell, and then was subsequently used as a military hospital in 1651.
The tower was renovated in the 19th century with the addition of larger windows and was used for a time as a blacksmith's forge.
Other Castles in the Area
Adare Manor, County Limerick
Ballybeg Castle, County Cork
Ballyclogh Castle, County Cork
Ballynamona Castle, County Cork
Bourchiers Castle, County Limerick
Carrigogunnell Castle, County Limerick
Castle Pook, County Cork
Desmond Castle, County Limerick
Dunmahon Castle, County Cork
Fantstown Castle, County Limerick
Kanturk Castle, County Cork
Kilbolane Castle, County Cork
Liscarroll Castle, County Cork
Lisgriffin Castle, County Cork
Lohort Castle, County Cork
Matrix Castle, County Limerick
Wallstown Castle, County Cork