near Burncourt, County Tipperary, Ireland
Burncourt Castle is situated near Burncourt off the M8 five miles south west of Cahir.
The castle comprises a rectangular central block with a four storey square tower at each corner. The interior was lit by mullioned windows. Several fireplaces can be seen in the interior walls, and there were originally seven chimneys. Parts of the walled courtyard can still be seen including a corner turret. A stone in the entrance to the nearby farmyard is inscribed with the date 1641 - this stone is believed to have been once positioned over the castle doorway.
Burncourt Castle was built in 1641 by Sir Richard Everard. Sir Richard joined the Catholic Confederates at Kilkenny in 1642, and became a member of the Supreme Council. The castle was destroyed by fire in 1650. Some reports say it was burned down by Oliver Cromwell's troops, others say the Everard family burned it themselves to prevent Oliver Cromwell's troops capturing the castle. Either way, the castle was destroyed. Sir Richard Everard was involved in defending the city of Limerick against Cromwell’s troops, but was captured and hung by Oliver Cromwell’s son-in-law, General Ireton in 1651. Prior to the fire, it was known as Clogheen Castle or Everard's Castle. After the fire it was abandoned and has remained a ruin.
A two storey house was built adjacent to the castle in the early 18th century by painter Anthony Chearnly. A formal garden was established in front of the castle courtyard. This house is now in ruins.
Other Castles in the Area
Ardfinnan Castle, County Tipperary
Ardmayle Castle, County Tipperary
Ballindoney Castle, County Tipperary
Ballyhooly Castle, County Cork
Cahir Castle, County Tipperary
Castle Lyons, County Cork
Conna Castle, County Cork
Court Castle, County Tipperary
Dunmahon Castle, County Cork
Lisfinny Castle, County Waterford
Lismore Castle, County Waterford
Loughlohery Castle, County Tipperary
Rock of Cashel, County Tipperary
Sleady Castle, County Waterford
Tourin Castle, County Waterford