near Conna, County Cork, Ireland
Conna Castle is situated on a limestone bluff overlooking the River Bride 6.5 km west of Tallow in County Cork.
The castle is a ruined five storey square tower house about 85 feet tall. There is only one ceiling still intact, and a few remains of the bawn can still be seen.
Conna Castle was built around 1550 by Sir Thomas FitzGerald, eldest son of the 14th Earl of Desmond . In 1599, Conna was captured by the Earl of Essex and partly destroyed. The castle was subsequently repaired by Richard Boyle, the Earl of Cork, who was granted the castle. In 1645, the castle was captured by Irish Confederate troops led by Lord Castlehaven. In 1653 is was damaged by fire in a blaze which claimed the lives of the three daughters of the castle's steward. Hilary L'Estrange bought the castle in 1851, and his son left the castle to the state when he died in 1915.
Other Castles in the Area
Ardfinnan Castle, County Tipperary
Ballindoney Castle, County Tipperary
Ballintotis Castle, County Cork
Ballyhooly Castle, County Cork
Burncourt Castle, County Tipperary
Castle Lyons, County Cork
Castle Richard, County Cork
Castlemartyr, County Cork
Dunmahon Castle, County Cork
Elizabeth Fort, County Cork
Ightermurragh Castle, County Cork
Lisfinny Castle, County Waterford
Lismore Castle, County Waterford
Sleady Castle, County Waterford
Tourin Castle, County Waterford
Tyntes Castle, County Cork
Wallstown Castle, County Cork