Kirkcudbright, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland
MacLellan's Castle is located off Castle Street in the centre of Kirkcudbright. It is a large 16th century L-plan tower house. The shell of the building is fairly complete but has lost its roof. The main block is five storeys and still has its vaulted ceilings on the ground floor. The stone floors are still there at first floor level, but above that only the walls remain. There are bartizans (overhanging, wall-mounted turrets) on two corners of the main block and on the four storey wing. Behind the great hall fireplace is the "Laird's Lug" - a secret spy hole, from which the laird could eavesdrop on his guests. The site is now to the public daily from April to September.
A convent once stood on the site now occupied by the castle. Sir Thomas MacLellan of Bombie, Provost of Kirkcudbright demolished the convent in the late 16th century and built a castle in its place using some of the stones from the convent. It was completed in 1582 and was one of the grandest houses in Scotland. The MacLellans occupied the castle until late 18th century. In 1742 the family removed the furniture and the roof, and left the castle. MacLellan's Castle passed into State care in 1912 and is looked after by Historic Scotland.
Other Castles in the Area
Barholm Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
Cardoness Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
Carsluith Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
Edingham Castle, Dumfries And Galloway
Sorbie Tower, Dumfries and Galloway
Threave Castle, Dumfries and Galloway