near Llansteffan, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Llansteffan Castle is situated on the River Tywi at Carmarthen Bay near Llansteffan in Carmarthenshire, Wales. The castle is in ruins. It is surrounded by a curtain wall with an impressive twin towered Great Gatehouse, and two three-storey towers - the ruined West Tower and the almost intact North Tower. Inside the wall is an upper courtyard and larger lower courtyard. In 1959, the neglected castle was placed in State care and is now maintained by Cadw, and is open to the public.
Llansteffan Castle was built by the Normans after 1100 when they invaded Wales. The castle changed hands a few times - it was captured by Rhys ap Gruffydd in 1146, retaken by the Normans, and recaptured by the Welsh in 1215 by Llywelyn the Great. The English took over the castle in the 14th century. It fell into disrepair in the 1500s and was abandoned.
Other Castles in the Area
Dinefwr Castle, Carmarthenshire
Dryslwyn Castle, Carmarthenshire
Kidwelly Castle, Carmarthenshire
Laugharne Castle, Pembrokeshire
Oxwich Castle, Swansea
Oystermouth Castle, Swansea
Pennard Castle, Swansea
Penrice Castle, Swansea
Weobley Castle, Swansea