near Stowe-by-Chartley, Staffordshire, England
Chartley Castle is located north of the village of Stowe-by-Chartley in Staffordshire (between Stafford and Uttoxeter). The motte and bailey castle is in ruins, but substantial remains stand including an unusual cylindrical keep, a curtain wall flanked by two D-shaped towers, a twin-towered gatehouse and an angled tower.
The motte and bailey castle was built by one of the early Earls of Chester around 1100. It was rebuilt in 1220 by Ranulph de Blondeville, 4th Earl of Chester, and a curtain wall was added. It passed by marriage to William de Ferrers, Earl of Derby and remained in the Ferrers family until 1453, when it passed to Walter Devereux through his wife, Elizabeth Ferrers. Walter was killed at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485. The castle was then abandoned as a residence and Chartley Manor was built nearby.
Chartley Manor was one of the last stops for Mary Queen of Scots before her execution. She was moved from Tutbury Castle a few miles to the east to Chartley in December 1585, and was imprisoned at Chartley for almost a year. She was then taken from Chartley to Fotheringay Castle in September 1586 where she was beheaded on 8 February 1587.
Other Castles in the Area
Alton Castle, Staffordshire
Tamworth Castle, Staffordshire
Tutbury Castle, Staffordshire