Tamworth, Staffordshire, England
Tamworth Castle is set in the town centre of Tamworth next to the River Tame in a public park, 16 miles from Birmingham in the centre of England.
The castle is surrounded by a curtain wall built with herringbone masonry and a 13th century twin towered gatehouse. The site consists of a well preserved shell keep with its 13th century arched doorways built over three floors, a 15th century Great Hall and range of Jacobean chambers, Victorian reception rooms and Tudor buildings set around a courtyard.
The castle is open to the public between midday and 5pm, Tuesday to Sunday from April until September and during the weekends October to March.
Inside the castle there is a museum with displays of how the castle would have been used in different periods throughout history as well as one of the rooms which is used as a ‘haunting' re-enactment.
The original Norman motte and bailey castle was replaced with a stone building in the 12th century. A stone keep was built on top of the motte which was protected by a square tower gateway.
Tamworth Castle was originally home to the Marmion family, descendents of the crown and was handed down though many generations and following the Civil War was under the ownership of the 5th Earl of Northampton. The castle then fell into disrepair until 1781 when it was transformed into a residence for the Townshend family.
The castle was then rented out during the 19th century with two of its famous occupants being Sir Robert Peel, Prime Minister for Great Britain and one of the founders of the Police force and Thomas Cooke. On the death of Thomas Cooke the castle was put up for sale and purchased by the Tamworth Corporation, now Tamworth Town Council.
The castle was the subject of a painting entitled ‘Tamworth Castle' By J.M.W Turner.
Other Castles in the Area
Chartley Castle, Staffordshire
Tutbury Castle, Staffordshire