Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
Braemar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Braemar Castle, near Braemar in Aberdeenshire has distinctive turrets and a star-shaped curtain wall. The main entrance to the castle has an original iron yett ( a heavy iron latticed gate). Areas of the main building including its dungeons are open to tourists all year round, and the castle chapel and dining room may be rented for weddings and small functions.
The first tower of Braemar Castle was built in 1628 by John Erskine, the 7th Earl of Mar. During the Jacobite uprising, Braemar was attacked and burned in 1689. The castle was left in ruins for nearly 60 years until after the Jacobite rebellion in 1745. With the rebellion in tatters it was leased to the government in 1748 by Clan Farquharson to serve as a garrison for the English government troops. In some rooms, graffiti left by the English soldiers can still be seen. In 1797 the castle was returned to the Farquharson clan who commenced restoration. Queen Victoria visited while she attended the Braemar Gathering.
Other Castles in the Area
Abergeldie Castle, Aberdeenshire
Balmoral Castle, Aberdeenshire
Corgarff Castle, Aberdeenshire
Dalnaglar Castle, Perth and Kinross
Glenbuchat Castle, Aberdeenshire
Invercauld House, Aberdeenshire
Kindrochit Castle, Aberdeenshire
Knock Castle, Aberdeenshire