near Hallmoss, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Ravenscraig Castle is situated on the bank of the River Ugie just north-west of Inverugie. It was the seat of the barony of Torthorston, held by the Cheynes family, and passed to the Keiths in the mid 14th century. The existing castle was built in 1491. It is in a corner of a triangular moated enclosure which has traces of an enclosing wall which may be part of an earlier castle. The castle was originally called Craig of Inverugie, although has been known as Ravenscraig since the 16th century. The castle has a large tower house with walls 10 feet thick at the base, and a wing projecting to the south. The entrance leads into a once-vaulted passage between two cellars through to the north wall where there are remains of a wide straight stairway up to a round lobby at the north-east end of the hall.
James VI visited the castle in 1589 to attend the marriage of the laird's daughter.
Other Castles in the Area
Esslemont Castle, Aberdeenshire
Knockhall Castle, Aberdeenshire
Pitsligo Castle, Aberdeenshire
Pitullie Castle, Aberdeenshire
Slains Castle, Aberdeenshire
Tolquhon Castle, Aberdeenshire
Udny Castle, Aberdeenshire