Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
near Udny Green, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Udny Castle is about a quarter of a mile northeast of Udny Green and half a mile southwest of Pitmedden in Aberdeenshire. The castle was built by the Udny family in the 15th century and is still the home of family descendents. It is a five-storey harled rectangular tower house with ornamental turrets and walls 8 feet thick. It was heightened in the 17th century when bartizans at each corner and a parapet above water-spouts were added. Additional wings were added in the 19th century turning the castle into a Baronial mansion built in 1874 by architect James Maitland Wardrop. The Victorian extension was demolished in the 1960s. There is a arched entrance on the east side leading to a vaulted basement. A turnpike stair rises to the hall on the first floor, which has window-seats and a Jacobean-style ceiling from the Victorian era. The tower has been restored and remains a family home.
In 1634 the Udny family moved to their other property of Knockhall Castle, but after Knockhall burned down 100 years later in 1734, they returned to Udny Castle. Udny had been abandoned while they were away, and on returning they renovated and extended the old keep.
Other Castles in the Area
Castle Fraser, Aberdeenshire
Cluny Castle, Aberdeenshire
Delgatie Castle, Aberdeenshire
Drum Castle, Aberdeenshire
Esslemont Castle, Aberdeenshire
Fyvie Castle, Aberdeenshire
Harthill Castle, Aberdeenshire
Knockhall Castle, Aberdeenshire
Midmar Castle, Aberdeenshire
Ravenscraig Castle, Aberdeenshire
Slains Castle, Aberdeenshire
Tolquhon Castle, Aberdeenshire
Towie Barclay Castle, Aberdeenshire
Udny Castle near Udny Green is a typical Scottish tower house with ornamental turrets
Photograph by Lynette and Malcolm Johnson. Some rights reserved. (view image details)
© OpenStreetMap contributors licensed as CC BY-SA