Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
near Inverness, Highland, Scotland
Cawdor Castle is a tower house in the parish of Cawdor, about 10 miles east of Inverness and 5 miles southwest of Nairn. The castle has evolved over 600 years. Additions made in the 17th century were all built with slated roofs and crow-stepped gables. The castle has beautiful gardens, including a walled garden originally planted in the 17th Century. Cawdor Castle is open to the public from Spring through Autumn.
The earliest documented date for the castle is 1454, although some parts of the castle have been dated to about 1380. The original castle was a large tower (or keep). The castle was built around a small, living holly tree, the remains of which can still be seen in the lowest level of the tower. Significant additions made to the castle in the 17th century and 19th century. The iron yett here was brought from nearby Lochindorb Castle around 1455 after Lochindorb had been forfeited by the Earl of Moray.
Cawdor Castle is best known for its connection to William Shakespeare's play Macbeth. However the castle was built many years after the events of the play.
Other Castles in the Area
Blervie Castle, Moray
Brodie Castle, Moray
Castle Stuart, Highland
Dalcross Castle, Highland
Inverness Castle, Highland
Kilravock Castle, Highland
Lochindorb Castle, Highland