Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Newark Castle is a well-preserved castle sited on the south shore of the Firth of Clyde in Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, Scotland. It was orignally a tower house to which a Scottish baronial style mansion was added. When the port became a shipbuilding centre, the castle was surrounded by shipyards. The last shipyard on the lower Clyde stands close to the west of the castle. The original castle was a tower house within a walled enclosure entered through a large gatehouse. All that remains of the outer defensive wall is part of one of the corner towers. Newark Castle came into state care in 1909 and is now a property of Historic Scotland.
The castle was built in 1478 by George Maxwell. Sir Patrick Maxwell extended the castle in the late 16th century adding a new a three storey Renaissance mansion. The mansion is linked to the original tower house by an east wing, and a west wing connects the mansion to the gatehouse. The mansion is in Scottish baronial style with crow-stepped gables and corbelled turrets on the north corners. The outer wall was demolished except for the north east tower, which was converted into a doocot. In 1668 the Glasgow authorities purchased 18 acres around Newark Castle from Sir George Maxwell and developed the harbour into Port Glasgow. The last Maxwell died in 1694. After that the castle had a series of non-resident owners.
Other Castles in the Area
Barr Castle, Renfrewshire
Buchanan Castle, Stirling
Carrick Castle, Argyll and Bute
Castle Levan, Inverclyde
Craigend Castle, East Dunbartonshire
Duchal Castle, Inverclyde
Dumbarton Castle, Dunbartonshire
Johnstone Castle, Renfrewshire
Kelburn Castle, Ayrshire
Law Castle, Ayrshire
Mugdock Castle, Glasgow
Portencross Castle, Ayrshire
Rothesay Castle, Argyll and Bute
Skelmorlie Castle, Ayrshire
Stanely Castle, Renfrewshire