Map by mapchart.net - Some rights reserved.
near Callander, Stirling, Scotland
Doune Castle lies 8 miles north-west of Stirling where the River Teith flows into the River Forth. It is located on a wooded bend on the river across a bridge from the village of Doune. It is one of the best-preserved medieval castles in Scotland. The site is defended on three sides by steep river bank and the north is defended by earthworks. The Castle has a narrow gateway and long vaulted passageway that leads to a large central courtyard. Off the courtyard, there are steps up to the Great hall which is connected to a large kitchen.
Doune Castle was a royal retreat and hunting lodge for the Scottish monarchs, including Mary Queen of Scots. Doune Castle was built at the end of the 14th century by Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany, brother of King Robert III. In 1570 Sir James Stewart, the first Lord Doune, was granted possession of Doune by James VI. Lord Doune's grandson became the Earl of Moray by marrying the Regent Moray's daughter, and the Earls of Moray have owned it ever since. During the Jacobite Rising of 1745 Doune Castle was a prison for government supporters captured by the Jacobites. During the late 19th century, the castle was renovated and the roof was replaced. The castle is now maintained by Historic Scotland and is open to the public.
Doune Castle was used extensively in the making of the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".
In Walter Scott's first novel Waverley, Edward Waverley is rescued by Highlanders and brought to Doune Castle.
Other Castles in the Area
Airth Castle, Falkirk
Castle Campbell, Clackmannanshire
Craigend Castle, East Dunbartonshire
Culcreuch Castle, Stirling
Drummond Castle, Perth and Kinross
Mugdock Castle, Glasgow
Stirling Castle, Stirling
Tulliallan Castle, Fife