near Castlelyons, County Cork, Ireland
Castle Lyons is situated 6 km south of Fermoy near the village of Castlelyons, in a field behind an industrial site off the main road near Castlelyons.
The castle is now in ruins and becoming overgrown with plants. It was once a fortified house with most of the walls over 4 feet thick.
Castle Lyons was one of the main seats of the Barry family in the 13th century, ever since King John granted the land to William de Barry. The Earl of Barrymore took over the castle in 1627 and built a large fortified house. In the 17th century the castle was held by the English as a stronghold against the Irish. Castle Lyons was captured by Lord Castlehaven after the battle of Manning Ford in 1643. The castle remained a habitable building until it was destroyed by fire accidently in 1771.
Other Castles in the Area
Ardfinnan Castle, County Tipperary
Ballintotis Castle, County Cork
Ballyhooly Castle, County Cork
Ballynamona Castle, County Cork
Blarney Castle, County Cork
Burncourt Castle, County Tipperary
Castle Pook, County Cork
Castle Richard, County Cork
Castlemartyr, County Cork
Conna Castle, County Cork
Dunmahon Castle, County Cork
Elizabeth Fort, County Cork
Ightermurragh Castle, County Cork
Lisfinny Castle, County Waterford
Lismore Castle, County Waterford
Tourin Castle, County Waterford
Tyntes Castle, County Cork
Wallstown Castle, County Cork