Ightermurragh, County Cork, Ireland
Ightermurragh Castle stands amongst trees at the of a track in Ightermurragh in County Cork.
Although a ruin, it is an impressive sight standing four storeys tall with a cross-shaped plan. It has many gunloops in the walls of the first and second storeys. The house has tall chimney stacks and mullioned windows. The main entrance is on the first storey, and shows evidence of where the yett would have been located.
Ightermurragh Castle was built by Edmund Supple. On the second storey, a lintel over the fireplace has an inscription in Latin which includes the names Edward Supple and his wife Margaret FitzGerald, with a construction date of 1642. The castle was captured and burned down soon after completion. It was subsequently restored in the mid-18th century by a Mr. Smith.
Other Castles in the Area
Ballintotis Castle, County Cork
Ballyhooly Castle, County Cork
Castle Lyons, County Cork
Castle Richard, County Cork
Castlemartyr, County Cork
Conna Castle, County Cork
Lisfinny Castle, County Waterford
Lismore Castle, County Waterford
Tourin Castle, County Waterford
Tyntes Castle, County Cork