Sleady, County Waterford, Ireland
Sleady Castle is located on farmland a few miles from Cappoquin in County Waterford.
It is a large stronghouse that was originally a double cross shape. The wing in the middle of the north side has gone, as has the part of the northern wall. The castle is now a four storey ruin, with tall gables and stark chimneys. The castle is constructed of rough stone with thick walls. The main entrance is gone but two square towers remain at either side. One of the towers has a parapet with battlements and a machicolation.
Sleady Castle was built around 1628 by Philip MacGrath, During the Rebellion of 1641, Sleady Castle was captured. The MacGraths were expelled and ended up living in a nearby cottage. Part of the Sleady estate went to the Osbournes. By the end of the 19th century Sleady Castle was just a shell
Other Castles in the Area
Ardfinnan Castle, County Tipperary
Ballindoney Castle, County Tipperary
Burncourt Castle, County Tipperary
Cahir Castle, County Tipperary
Conna Castle, County Cork
Lisfinny Castle, County Waterford
Lismore Castle, County Waterford
Loughlohery Castle, County Tipperary
Ormonde Castle, County Tipperary
Tourin Castle, County Waterford
Tyntes Castle, County Cork