near Buchanan Smithy, Stirling, Scotland
Buchanan Castle is situated west of the village of Drymen in Stirlingshire, Scotland. It was designed by William Burn as a manor house in Scottish baronial style, with an L-plan tower, turrets, bartizans and stepped gables. The building is still standing but in poor condition and being invaded by plants. The castle is listed by The National Trust of Scotland as a historical site that needs restoration.
The last Laird of Buchanan died in 1681 and the house and estate were bought by the 3rd Duke of Montrose (of the Graham family). The original castle on the site was the ancestral seat of the Clan Buchanan, and burned down in 1852. The current building was built by the 4th Duke of Montrose in 1854. This new house replaced Mugdock Castle as the official seat of the Clan Graham - no Buchanans have ever lived in this building. The castle was sold in 1925, and was used as a hospital during the Second World War - one of the patients there was Rudolf Hess. The roof was removed after the war, and the building fell into disrepair.
Other Castles in the Area
Bedlay Castle, Lanarkshire
Castle Levan, Inverclyde
Craigend Castle, East Dunbartonshire
Culcreuch Castle, Stirling
Duchal Castle, Inverclyde
Dumbarton Castle, Dunbartonshire
Johnstone Castle, Renfrewshire
Mugdock Castle, Glasgow
Newark Castle, Renfrewshire
Stanely Castle, Renfrewshire